Monday, May 4, 2009

Honoring my mother . . .

Today, May 4th, is my precious mother’s (Anna Ramey Carpenter) 82nd birthday and this Sunday is Mother's Day. From childhood my mother has been committed to prayer and reaching the lost. Her father, my grandfather, Ira Myrick, was a ‘crazy’ evangelist. At the end of his life of ministry when he was ‘just to old to get preaching invitations to churches’ he hitch-hiked up and down Highway 101 in California. When he would get a ride, he would bring out his big King James Bible and begin preaching the gospel to everyone in the car! When he couldn't get rides (because he looked so old) he would bring my grandmother, Carrie, with him because people would feel sorry for her. Grandpa Myrick won many people to Christ in their car – others dropped him off as fast as they could!!! One convert was a California Highway Patrol Officer who picked him up for vagrancy. By the time they arrived at the jail, this CHP officer was born again!

My mom’s 1st husband, my dad, Arthur Ramey, was an evangelist/pastor. While my mom was at BIOLA, ‘preparing to be a missionaries/pastor’s wife’ she ran into this loud man standing on a wooden box and preaching the gospel on the sidewalk of Los Angeles. She eventually married that man. They passionately served the Lord until my dad was taken to glory while preaching the gospel message in his church pulpit in 1980 at the age of only 56.

Mom was married a year-and-a-half later to pastor Bob Carpenter. Together they are faithful in their church and pray every day for the lost in their neighborhood and all over the world. They pray for us every day. Dad Bob and mom are behind our “Missional Living” ministry and believe it is a need in the church today.

I honor the life of my dear mother today. I know she is praying for us. My mother has been a "Missional Liver" all of her life!!! O how we need this kind of ‘old school’ commitment today!

No comments:

Post a Comment